Janice Shipley’s Cheeseburger Pie
Janice Shipley died on April 29, 2021. Her death came as a shock to everyone and she will forever be remembered for a big smile, a welcome hug, boundless energy, and purple hair. The day before Janice’s death her final Facebook post was a recipe for Cheeseburger Pie. It requires, among other things, 2 pounds of lean ground beef, a jar of spaghetti sauce, 2 cups of cheddar cheese, and a half a cup of Sweet Baby Ray’s barbecue sauce. I suggest that next year, and every year after, on April 29, we bake up Janice’s Cheeseburger Pie in her memory.
Here is Janice’s final Facebook post:
It’s been a rainy, cheeseburger pie kinda day! Prepared a couple today – one for my honey and one to either freeze or give away. I don’t very often post recipes on Facebook, but I’ve had so many people ask for my Cheeseburger Pie recipe so I figured I would go ahead and post it again for all of you. It’s gone thru many changes and (at least in our view) improvements over the years. Hope you enjoy. Please note that this recipe makes 2 pies – one to eat now and one for the freezer or a friend. Freezes and reheats great!
2 pounds lean ground beef
½ – ¾ cup Sweet Baby Ray’s barbeque sauce
1 jar 24 oz Spaghetti Sauce – just use your favorite
1 tablespoon chopped onion
1 tablespoon garlic salt
1 can 14 oz Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk (this is actually the “secret” ingredient – do NOT switch to regular condensed milk)
2 Frozen Deep Dish Pie Crusts
¼ cup milk
½ teaspoon dry mustard
2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Brown ground beef with chopped onion and garlic salt over medium heat. Drain off fat.
3. Stir in spaghetti sauce, barbeque sauce and Eagle Brand. Simmer for about 15 – 20 minutes over low heat. Refrigerate meat mixture overnight (can be used immediately, but tends to taste better and be easier to handle if you have time to refrigerate overnight)
4. Spoon mixture into frozen pie crusts – makes enough for 2 pies (note: pie crusts will not be full at this point)
5. Bake in pre-heated oven for 35-40 minutes
6. Beat egg, milk together in large bowl, stir in seasonings and shredded cheese
7. Remove pies from oven and spread the cheese mixture over the top
8. Bake 10 more minutes